living for yourself
"For in the temple of his spirit, each man is alone. Let each man keep his temple untouched and undefiled. Then let him join hands with others if he wishes, but only beyond his holy threshold."
For The New Intellectual (65)
for too long now i have been dependent on others. if i have learned one thing in the last four years and two relationships it is that in the end we are alone. yes these things happen. i am dealing with that and i won't hesitate to jump back in if i see fit. but, nothing and no one is certain. in the end we are truly alone. this is why we should know ourselves intimately. we should no longer muddle our way through life and relationships unsure or ourselves. it is a dangerous mistake. defining ourselves through others. living through, and off of, others.


6 Comments:
in respone to depending on those relationships. cold days fade slowly yet all too quick, like
clouds keep warm weather in so seemingly endless
space sticks on your nipples and skin like
ducktape on the shins of a kidnapee.
Relationships stir emotions that cycle like waves
come and go. slow to pick the pieces up when my
fingers are frozen
but I welcome clouds cause, they keep the warm
weather in.
Clouds can keep the warm weather in, the cold
less painful against your nipples and skin,
seemingly endless space is beautiful like ice
crystals are painful unless seen through the
window.
I jumped into a pond of stars and choking, miss
the hazyness of clouds.
It's nice to
get an emotional look at how friends are doing
versus simple biographys.
i miss you adam
wher are you? I'll come and visit and we can get way too drunk on cheep wiskey I need an escape from the bore of the states.
amy hope
Well for goodness sake....is being alone THAT awful? I kind of like it - there are vast spaces in the interior of my own mind that I have yet to explore. I think we all have those interior spaces....yet YOU get to explore them with these awesome exterior landscapes (the sea and Turkey) all around you. AND you get to totally and completely reinvent yourself over there. No one knows you or your history - all they care about is who you are at this exact moment. You lucky little devil!
also - get ahold of Joy in RLGS - asap - she needs something from you by this Friday (April 21). Her email is
jtienzio@....
keep posting and I'll keep reading.
ruth (who needs to go find her old blogspot password)
Ayn Rand is an eliteist and thought extremist.
ruth,
this is what i am saying. being alone is not bad at all, that is why i am here. i am here to explore the yet unexplored interior spaces. to learn to be alone with myself...
sorry pal - I missed that you were saying that. You just sounded so forlorn about being alone. Perhaps I am projecting a bit?
It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living.
I want to know what you ache for
and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.
It doesn’t interest me how old you are.
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool
for love
for your dream
for the adventure of being alive.
It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon...
I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow
if you have been opened by life’s betrayals
or have become shrivelled and closed
from fear of further pain.
I want to know if you can sit with pain
mine or your own
without moving to hide it
or fade it
or fix it.
I want to know if you can be with joy
mine or your own
if you can dance with wildness
and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes
without cautioning us to
be careful
be realistic
remember the limitations of being human.
It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me
is true.
I want to know if you can
disappoint another
to be true to yourself.
If you can bear the accusation of betrayal
and not betray your own soul.
If you can be faithless
and therefore trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see Beauty
even when it is not pretty
every day.
And if you can source your own life
from its presence.
I want to know if you can live with failure
yours and mine
and still stand at the edge of the lake
and shout to the silver of the full moon,
“Yes.”
It doesn’t interest me
to know where you live or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up
after the night of grief and despair
weary and bruised to the bone
and do what needs to be done
to feed the children.
It doesn’t interest me who you know
or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand
in the centre of the fire
with me
and not shrink back.
It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom
you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you
from the inside
when all else falls away.
I want to know if you can be alone
with yourself
and if you truly like the company you keep
in the empty moments.
Post a Comment
<< Home